The Munich Security Conference (MSC) met in New Delhi - Summary
On October 21 and 22, 2014 the MSC held its 6th MSC Core Group Meeting, this time in New Delhi in cooperation with the Observer Research Foundation (ORF). The conference in New Delhi focused on security architecture in Europe and Asia.
Questions of maritime security in the Indo-Pacific, cyber security, as well as challenges of global governance and the role of emerging powers were also discussed. India’s National Security Advisor Ajit Doval opened the conference with a programmatic speech on Indian foreign policy in which he stressed the importance of democracy and co-operation between democratic states for global peace and security. A video of his speech is available in our media library.
The following international leaders participated in the conference (in alphabetical order):
- Anvar Azimov, Ambassador-at-Large of the Russian Foreign Ministry
- Hans-Peter Bartels, Chairman of the German Bundestag’s Defence Committee
- Robert Blackwill, former U.S. Ambassador to India and former U.S. Deputy National Security Advisor
- Joseph M. Cohen, National Security Advisor of Israel
- Umer Daudzai, Minister of the Interior of Afghanistan
- Ajit Doval, National Security Advisor, India
- Markus Ederer, Deputy Foreign Minister of Germany
- Arvind Gupta, Deputy National Security Advisor, India
- Ananth Guruswamy, Director of Amnesty International India
- Jane Harman, Director and CEO of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
- John McLaughlin, former Acting Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- José Antonio Meade Kuribreña, Foreign Minister of Mexico
- Cem Özdemir, Federal Chairman, Alliance 90/The Greens and Member of the German Bundestag
- Norbert Röttgen, Chairman of the German Bundestag’s Foreign Affairs Committee
- Kevin Rudd, former Prime Minister of Australia
- Navtej Sarna, Secretary (West) of the Ministry of External Affairs, India
- Sujatha Singh, Foreign Secretary of the Ministry of External Affairs, India
- Shashi Tharoor, Chairman of the Indian Parliamentary Standing Committee on External Affairs
A detailed report is available for download as PDF document.
In our media library, you can find the video of the speech by Ajit Doval, as well as photos of the event.