Is our energy supply still secure?
F.A.Z. and MSC organise first international conference on energy security
On 10 July 2013, international political, business and social representatives will gather in Frankfurt am Main at the invitation of the Munich Security Conference (MSC) and the F.A.Z. Forum, and under the aegis of Germany's Federal Environment Minister, Peter Altmaier, and Federal Minister for the Economy, Dr. Philipp Rösler, to discuss the current challenges surrounding global energy security. The focus of the conference "Energy Security – How to Feed and Secure the Global Demand?" will be on how we can guarantee energy security for Germany and Europe going forward, in addition to other issues.
24 June 2013, Frankfurt am Main. In the face of growing dependency on oil and gas imports, safeguarding the reliable supply of energy lies at the heart of national and international policy agendas. The Munich Security Conference Foundation and the F.A.Z. Forum have convened the inaugural "Energy Security" conference as an international platform bringing together and fostering dialogue between high-level policy makers, representatives from the energy industry and energy experts from non-governmental organisations. Sponsored by Germany's Federal Environment Minister, Peter Altmaier, and Federal Minister for the Economy, Dr. Philipp Rösler, the conference will kick off an annual calendar of events delving into relevant issues of security policy.
The conference, chaired by Ambassador Wolfgang Ischinger, Chairman of the Munich Security Conference, and Dr. Günther Nonnenmacher, editor of the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, will focus on political developments in producing countries, particularly the security and geostrategic implications of changing global energy supply routes. Participants will also discuss the options available for reducing dependencies on energy imports, as well as issues relating to energy generation and environmental policy, including the pros and cons of natural gas production through fracking.
The conference will feature the following speakers, among others:
• Federal Environment Minister Peter Altmaier, Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety
• Prof. Dr. Hüseyin Bagci, Professor International Relations, Middle East Technical University
• Elmar Brok, Member of the European Parliament / Chairman of the European Parliament Committee on Foreign Affairs
• Bob Cekuta, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, State Department's Energy Bureau
• Marc Elsberg, Author of “Blackout – Morgen ist es zu spät”
• Rostam Ghasemi, Minister of Petroleum, Islamic Republic of Iran
• Dr. Thiemo Gropp, Director, DESERTEC Foundation
• Caio Koch-Weser, Vice Chairman, Deutsche Bank Group / Non-Executive Director, BG Group plc / Chairman, European Climate Foundation
• Robin Mills, Head of Consulting, Manaar Energy Consulting & Project Management, Dubai
• Karsten Nohl, Chief Scientist, Security Research Labs
• Cleo Paskal, Chatham House / Author of “Spielball Erde: Machtkämpfe im Klimawandel”
• Prof. Dr. Friedbert Pflüger, Director European Centre for Energy and Resource Security (EUCERS), King’s College London
• Dr. Lutz Raettig, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Morgan Stanley / Chairman of the Executive Committee, Frankfurt Main Finance
• Ernst Rauch, Head Corporate Climate Centre, Climate & Renewables, Munich Re
• Peter Reitz, CEO, European Energy Exchange, Member of Deutsche Börse Group
• Hossein Sajadi, Director-General, Iran Energy Efficiency Organization (SABA)
• Dr. Harald Schwager, Member of the Board of Executive Directors, BASF
• Narendra Taneja, Energy Analyst and Commentator / President, World Energy Policy Summit / Co-Chairman, Hydrocarbons Committee, FICCI
Deutsche Börse Group is a conference partner.
About the Munich Security Conference and the F.A.Z. Forum
The Munich Security Conference is the world's most important independent forum for the exchange of views by international security policy decision-makers. Each year it brings together senior figures from around the world to engage in an intensive debate on current and future security challenges.
The F.A.Z. Forum specialises in planning and conducting high-quality international conferences touching on issues covered by theFrankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. With the assistance of the F.A.Z. editorial team, it hosts engaging events covering a wide range of interdisciplinary and innovative topics.
Information for journalists
Media representatives are cordially invited to attend the conference.
Conference: "Energy Security – How to Feed and Secure the Global Demand?" Wednesday, 10 July 2013; doors open at 08:00 a.m. / Conference begins at 9:00 a.m. / ends at 5:30 p.m. (tentative); Gesellschaftshaus Palmengarten, Palmengartenstraße 11, 60325 Frankfurt.
Accreditation required. For press credentials, please contact:
Munich Security Conference
Tel.: +49 893 7979-49 20